Puttenham Church was built in five stages between 1100 and 1400. The original church properly built by the lord of the manor would have been a rectangular building consisting of the present nave and small chancel.
The original North wall of the nave has pierced Norman pillars. The North aisle had small unglazed windows inserted. One window at the west end of the nave has had lots of restoration.
Thirteenth & Fourteenth Century
A lady chapel was built at the east end of the north aisle and an arcade of late Norman pillars was placed between the chapel and the chancel. The Chancel was extended and the south transept chapel was built. The original east window remains. Larger windows in the nave replaced the smaller Norman ones so the church was lighter.
Building of the tower was probably begun by the rector, Edward Cranford whose brass lies in the chancel. The South west window in the chancel was inserted. Perhaps the reason for one low light being added was for the distribution of alms or food. The roof timbers have been renewed.
The brass in the chancel records the tenure of the living for 94 years by the Henry Bedells, father and son. The brass in the vestry commemorates Sir Frances Wyatt of Rodsall.
Fire destroyed the spire, damaged the nave including the Lady chapel and burnt the pulpit. The restoration is shown in Hassells drawings at the west end.
There have been drastic alterations under the influence of the Camden Society. Steps have been added to the chancel and sanctuary. Dormer windows have been inserted into the north aisle and others have been renewed.
The North chapel became the vestry. New choir stalls, new pulpit and new pews were added. An archway was made from the vestry to the north aisle. York stone was substituted for the Victorian tiles in the naive.
The six bells were recast in 1861. The registers date from 1562
A = The south wall of the nave, early Norman 1100 Century.
B = North wall was pierced and arches were installed, (1160).
C = Chancel and north Chapel, 1200. (re-
D = South Chapel, (1325).
E = Tower, (1400).
There are seven main windows.
East window. (1910)
South West window. (early 1500)
West wall, South Chapel.
East wall, South chapel. Original 1400 window.
South West nave. (1100)
North chapel. (1770)
Other interesting features.
8 Wyall memorial (1634)
9 Medieval Tile. Sole survivor of the original floor.
10 Cranford Brass. Commemorates Edward Cranford, Rector 1400 to 1434.
11 Beedell Memorial. Commemorates farther and son rectors from 1598 to 1694.
12 the panelling in the chancel was installed in 1929.
13 Memorials round the Alter are of the Sumner family, past owners of Puttenham Priory.
14 Pope Memorial.
A fire in 1735 destroyed the spire and most of the roof and was re-
The Present seating was installed in 1939 and 1952.
The Village Well
As you go through the church gates there is an old well which at one time would have been used by the village. On palm Sunday 1972 as the people were coming out of church they saw a tree by the gate sinking into the ground. it was soon found that it was the well that had been slowly filled in. It was last used in 1750.
There are six bells. Originally there were only four.
In 1725 they were recast as five. The fire of 1735 led to further recasting in 1740. Then in 1861 they were again recast and a sixth bell ( treble ) was added.
The clock strikes on the tenor.
For a list of past Rectors click HERE